Until the First World War, the area between Via Morelli, PiazzaVittoria Square and Via Rastello was not developed, if we exclude the Ursuline monastery which included large orchards and gardens within its boundaries. To reach the suburbs from the urban centre, one had to cross the 'passage' that ran through the residence of the Edlin aristocrats, who gave the name to the passage.
In the second half of the Nineteenth century, a few school buildings began to appear around the square behind the passage: the public school, the boys' citadel and a kindergarten.
From the Fascist period onwards, the arterial route began to be characterized by the construction of some of the main buildings that were intended to house offices and local administration centres. In 1933, the seat of the Provincial Council for Economy, designed by Roberto Cristofori, was built at the corner with Via Crispi, and it was meant to replace the existing Chamber of Commerce founded in 1850. This was part of a plan by the Empire to improve communications between the Ministry of Commerce and local businesses.
During the period of German occupation following the armistice, the palace became one of the Nazi headquarters. During the ally period after the end of the war, the building once again hosted the reconstituted Chamber of Commerce. The current Via Roma, the focal point of public urban building planned by the regime, was inaugurated in 1938 to host Benito Mussolini's parade during his official visit to Gorizia.
Via Roma and Via Crispi, roads of passage par excellence, which link Piazza Vittoria with the main avenue (Corso), played a central role during the period of the Allied Military Government, becoming a stage for numerous events directed at the central square: the parades of the Yugoslav partisans in May 1945, the pro-Yugoslav demonstrations in 1946, the ceremonies organized in honour of the Anglo-American military and those welcomimg the entry of Italian troops in 1947.